The FIRE Foundation is a dynamic and growing non-profit organization that provides financial grants to qualifying schools located in the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph to support inclusive Catholic education initiatives. FIRE grants are used to cover costs of salaries for special education teachers and paraprofessionals, to acquire learning technology and equipment, and to provide training and professional development. FIRE is a leading advocate for inclusive education – locally, regionally and nationally. The Foundation’s mission is to provide children with special needs the opportunity for an inclusive education in the Catholic schools they attend.
FIRE seeks to hire a Development Associate to perform duties related to grant writing and research, conference/event planning, communication with stakeholders, fund raising, donor relations and community outreach. The Development Associate is a full-time salaried position who provides project support to the Development Director and the Executive Director. The Development Associate will help the Foundation accomplish strategic goals and is expected to demonstrate resourcefulness, creative problem solving, flexibility and manage multiple tasks simultaneously. Successful candidates should be service-focused, friendly, and able to work independently, as well as collaboratively. Attention to detail is critical. This position is best suited for an individual who thrives in a mission-driven environment.
Preferred Experience and Education
- Understanding of and exposure to nonprofit work environments.
- Understanding of inclusive Catholic education and its impact.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Strong preference for background in journalism, communications, public relations and/or event planning.
- Interest in advocacy for children with intellectual and developmental disabilities is helpful.
- Project management
- Event planning.
- Grant writing
- Promotional messaging and social media campaigns
- Donor relations.
- Passion for FIRE’s mission
- Very strong written and verbal communications skills
- Proficiency in grants research and writing and/or willingness to develop skills in this area
- Resourceful self-starter and problem solver who thinks creatively
- Proficiency and/or willingness to learn various technology platforms (website management, social media)
- Experience with event planning
- Friendly disposition, professional attitude toward work responsibilities
- Ability to multi-task and respond to situations appropriately
- Proficient in Microsoft Office: Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Word
- Exhibits sound judgment and takes initiative to solve problems
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks
- Attentive to details and focused on accuracy
- Team player who brings positive energy, fun and enthusiasm to the workplace.
Full-time (approximately 40 hours). Must be able/willing to work evenings and/or weekends occasionally. Hybrid work environment (50% downtown KCMO office / 50% remote)
Competitive salary, paid vacation and choice of health benefits or retirement savings plan.
Please Contact Us if Interested in this Position
Please submit resume, cover letter and references to FIRE to [email protected] or to:
20 W. 9th Street
Kansas City, MO 64105
Job Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $30,000 – 49,999
Volunteer for an Event
If you’d like to get involved or volunteer for a specific event (we love the help!), please complete the form below or contact Susan Williams, [email protected]