The FIRE Foundation is pleased to present an inclusive education conference for principals, teachers, paraprofessionals and parents who are committed to creating and strengthening K-12 inclusive learning opportunities at their Catholic schools.
Please help us spread news about this opportunity.
Inclusion in Action in Catholic Schools
This conference is designed to light the way for Catholic schools who wish to welcome and support students with special needs. We believe that our Catholic faith calls all of us to be inclusive. Sometimes it’s difficult to know where to start. And it’s always essential to continue learning and growing. Whether you’re considering the idea of formally offering inclusive education opportunities at your school for the very first time or you are seeking new information to strengthen and expand your existing inclusion program, this conference is for you! FIRE Foundation hosts and presents this conference on a biennial basis. FIRE’s first inclusion conference was held in Kansas City in 2017.
a conference presented by the FIRE Foundation
FIRE Foundation works to advocate and fund inclusive Catholic education in the Diocese of Kansas City – St. Joseph (MO). Since 1996, FIRE has provided over $5 million to support inclusive learning opportunities for hundreds of students K-12. FIRE funds make it possible for schools to hire special educators and para-educators, acquire technology and resources, and provide professional development so learners with intellectual disabilities can learn, grow and thrive in Catholic schools. We believe that inclusive education fosters a culture of acceptance and compassion where ALL students grow together in faith, knowledge and friendship. In addition to supporting inclusive education in the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph, FIRE is pleased to partner with two affiliates: FIRE Foundation of Northeast Iowa (Archdiocese of Dubuque) and FIRE Foundation of Central Illinois (Diocese of Springfield).
At the Inclusion in Action conference you will have the opportunity to tours Inclusive Schools, learn from National Inclusion Experts, and Network with Other Inclusion Advocates. Be sure to stop by our Marketplace to enhance your conference experience and gather additional information. Below is the conference schedule, keynote topics, breakout sessions titles and a listing of our marketplace guests. The conference will offer content covering a broad range of inclusion topics. Click here for session descriptions. Are you planning to pay for attendance at the conference with Title Funds, you can use this Justification Letter.
Monday, February 18, 2019
3:00 pm: Registration
4:00 pm: Opening Presentation
5:00 pm: Welcome Reception
Tuesday, February 19, 2019
7:00 am – 7:45 am: Registration / Attendees are on their own for breakfast
7:45 am: Conference Welcome & Prayer
8:00 am: Load Motor coaches for Inclusive School Tours
9:00 am: Inclusive School Tours
12:30 pm: Lunch at the Courtyard with a Keynote Speaker
1:45 pm – 3:00 pm: Breakout Sessions
3:15 pm – 4:30 pm: Breakout Sessions
5:30 pm: Happy Hour Reception
Wednesday, February 20, 2019
7:00 am – 8:00 am: Breakfast on your own
8:00 am: Prayer
8:05 am: Keynote Presentation
9:30 am – 10:45 am: Breakout Sessions
11:00 am – 12:15 pm: Breakout Sessions
12:30 pm Lunch with a Keynote Presentation
1:45 pm – 3:00 pm: Breakout Sessions
3:15 pm – 3:30 pm: Conference Wrap Up
- “Inclusion as a Mandate of our Catholic Faith” presented by Dr. Raul Escarpio
- “The Key to Full Inclusion” presented by Nicole Eredics
- “Moving from Welcoming to Belonging: Inclusionary Approaches in Catholic Schools” presented by Michael J. Boyle, Ph.D.
Breakout Session Titles:
- “Roadmap to Including Children of All Abilities”
- “Fostering Language, Social Skills, and Peer Relationships in Schools”
- “Universal Design for Learning (UDL) and the Diverse Classroom”
- “An IDEA for Catholic Education”
- “Motivating & Engaging Learners with Disabilities”
- “Differentiated Instruction for All Learners”
- “Classroom Behavior Management for Children with Autism and Developmental Disorders”
- “Characteristics of an Inclusive Classroom”
- “Framing Inclusionary Efforts”
- “ADHD, Autism and Neurological Disorders”
- “Tackle Tier 1 and Bypass Behavior”
- “Utilizing Multi-tiered Systems of Support (MTSS) as a Framework for Inclusion”
- “Practical Strategies to Modify Curriculum”
- “Top Ten Tech Tips for Inclusion”
- “Meet My Peer Mentor, My Friend”
- “Dollars & Sense of Inclusion”
- “Low or No Cost Applications & Extensions that Support Students Success”
- “Working with a Paraprofessional in an Inclusive Catholic Setting”
Tentative Marketplace Exhibitors
- Brookes Publishing
- FIRE Foundation
- Loyola University, Chicago, Andrew Greeley School of Education
- National Catholic Board on Full Inclusion
- National Catholic Partnership of Disabilities
- National Catholic Education Association
- RCL Benziger
- University of Notre Dame: PIE – Program on Inclusive Education
Registration for the conference is $349. BONUS: Parents who meet qualifications & register by December 15 will receive a discounted conference rate of $249.
Register for the Conference Online
Parent Qualifier Form
IMPORTANT: Parents may register for the conference under the parent rate however the qualifier form MUST be submitted at the time of the registration.
If a parent does not qualify we will contact them directly.
Courtyard Kansas City at Briarcliff
4000 North Mulberry Drive
Kansas City, MO 64116
$159 per night
Reserve Your Rooms Online Now
(room rates are available until January 27, 2017)
20 West 9th Street
Kansas City, MO 64105
816.756.1858 (ext. 253)
Thank you to these sponsors for their generous support of this conference.
“…our communities are still struggling to practice a true inclusion, full participation that finally becomes ordinary, normal. And this requires not only technical and specific programs, but first of all recognition and acceptance of faces, tenacious and patient confidence that each person is unique and unrepeatable…” – Pope Francis, June 11, 2016